Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I was struck this morning while reading the New York Times how much of America, and the world, is characterized by hyperbole. It's hard to know what's important anymore since so many things are inflated beyond even a recognizable importance. I think the news media has a lot to do with this in how they cover events (insessantly nonstop over and over) -- you can tell how "important" an occurrence is by examing the number of no-name, irrelevant, unqualified pundits are consulted in examining a story; an increase in this number equates to the increase in un-importance of the important story -- and even celebrities are to blame in this life of bigger is better. I was watching Live with Regis and Kelly (laugh, I know) this morning and Drew Barrymore was on. I was amazed by the number of times she said "wonderful" "amazing" "super" "excellent" "fabulous" "absolutely love".

Sure, elevating the mundane to a level of adoration and excitement can make for a more interesting story when you're describing, say, your trip to the grocery store, because then it's more of a parody or sarcastic or witty or funny. But, I'm sorry, it's not witty to infuse an overzealous amount of happiness and passion into your story about your hair color. Or your Love Of Getting Older. It's not unique. Lots of people like changing their hair color and can cite all the trite deeper meanings ("It lets me reflect who I am spiritually and emotionally in a physical representation of my life"). Plenty of folks enjoy the benefits of getting older ("Wisdom, wooo!"). So stop overexaggerating everything because then hyperbole will just become standard and we'll have no way in our human dialogue to express happiness, thoughts, or feelings that are above and beyond typical. I'll lose my ability to truly express to you how much I love chocolate.

Though on a much different scale, Kristoff's editorial today was about social hyperbole, but concerning more important consequences of such hyperbole than my rantings complain about.

I try to think about issues from all sides, right, like most people who attempt to be even-minded before forming an opinion; talking about religion is even more delicate and oftentimes can't be understood from others' points of view, but as a Christian I've tried to understand the broohaha over the pope's death. I agree that a death should be sufficiently recognized and all that, but isn't it awesome that he's going to heaven now? And why does the pope get buried with his medals and inscriptions and special robes when you don't need any of those sorts of wordly possessions or accolades when you're with God? I don't get that part. Or, why do so many people really, really, really want to get a glimpse of the pope's dead body? He's just a man who other men appointed. I probably shouldn't write about such an inflammatory subject here, but meh, maybe someone will comment :)

I've come to be apathetic about the inherent hypocrisy of human nature, because I don't think there's much I can do to change it on a broad scale; I can only try to make sure that I'm not being hypocritical in my words, actions, and decisions (because it'd be hypocritical of me to complain about all these things and do exactly what I'm complaining about. So here's my anti-hypocritical vow to myself: I will do my absolute, total and complete best to not extravagently overexaggerate when totally unnecessary -- unless for the sake of a really really funny joke, or super duper important story, or ohmigosh this one time i....

1 ..::thought(s)::..

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous ..::word(s)::..

"isn't it awesome that he's going to heaven now? And why does the pope get buried with his medals and inscriptions and special robes when you don't need any of those sorts of wordly possessions or accolades when you're with God?"

How the heck would you, or anyone else, know these things? Or if there is a heaven? Or a god? Or if he gives a crap who lives or dies, and what they wear?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home