Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Boo, email is a dangerous thing when done tired.

This morning I went back to the Square to retrieve "items critical to business success" to bring back to the farm land; it was also my first trip downtown since coming back. The morning felt like the rough draft of a movie script, with a dense fog cloaking both sides of the interstate from view. I was tunneled into the Superdome area and the CBD, which looked surprisingly normal (aside from Poydras being squished into one lane each way for a stretch were signs reading "Falling glass!" shouted warnings from in front of a beat up office tower). Structurally, the city is fine. Windows everywhere could use some work. Being back made me realize again how much I fell in love with my office and downtown in general in those first few weeks. I missed my upside-down pictures and my ergonomic foot rest (I brought it back to RTC). I miss having my buddy next door instead of across a cubicle and not being able to hear Tom's phone when I call him from across the other side of the fake wall we currently have. It will make work a little easier to have my huge binders of process flow diagrams instead of piecing through them in online pdf files.

After getting our stuff out of the office, T, Buddy, and I drove through Lakeview (the area on the side where the canal broke that got horrrrrible flooding). With the fog still hanging heavily and the huge 30 foot wall of soaked, moldy household discards on the median, I expected to see men in biohazard suits and not just typical looking utility workers in orange safety vests. Most sobering of all was the almost cartoonish solemnity of the neon spray painted orange X's by every door. The top quarter of the X had a date and the right and bottom quarters had numbers for people trapped inside. In some places the Xs were almost at the roof, right above the dingy brownish/murky yellow line that striped the entire neighborhood - the flood's waterline. Those high Xs were made by men in boats. Boats.

One particular area that my mom and I ate at when she helped me move in a mere 9 (?) weeks ago was right on the Lake, with 4 restuarants, a park, and a large area with 15 sand volleyball courts. From the parking lot you wouldn't even guess there had been large structures at the site, because they were completely gone. No stray plywood haphazardly strewn about -- everything. Everything. Was. Gone. Completely, utterly, absotutely gone. There were also still national guardsmen in several areas we poked around, which is still disconcerting. Every house in the Lakeview area had 8 feet or so of water and every house will need to be completely gutted and rebuilt. Every one. When in the world is my city ever going to be normal again?

What physically, chemically makes words so seductive in my mind? How can a few well-chosen adjectives make me feel more inspired than any picture?

Last brief thought for the night, inspired by (sigh) The Real World: are people disposable? Can you use one for a little while, get bored of his or her features and no bad feelings move on? Is anyone actually capable of connecting with another person, physically or mentally, for a brief period of time and then completely forgetting them or easily brushing them off? Watching the show it seems like the answer is yes, with no problems - how, I wonder. I can't figure out how to put here the vague premonitions of thoughts my sleep brain is meagerly bubbling up, so I'll try again tomorrow (earlier.).

2 ..::thought(s)::..

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Biff ..::word(s)::..

I had a conversation the other day with my (now) ex (which I guess I should fill 207 in on, but I'll wait till I have something fun to share), and he mentioned something similar to what you say at the end of your blog. He's graduating in December and wants to move to Arizona, so he plans to pick up, leave, and forget all about Boston. And move on from the people who care about him here. Seemed a little extreme to me. The way he explained it was that he just doesn't need anyone, and he can enjoy his time with the people here, but then we it's over for us, he can just move on from all those relationships. What I think is that he hasn't let himself open up to the reality of love, whether it be friendship or romantic. Since he's not letting anyone under his true skin, he doesn't realize how important people our to our growth and happiness. I still don't quite understand, but there are my short thoughts for now.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Katie ..::word(s)::..

It's a very interesting thought. It kind of makes me sad to think that people could just forget about each other and move on - hey I don't want people to forget me!!. But actually, thinking back, there are several people in my life who have had a huge effect on me at a certain point but who I completely lost touch with. I guess I didn't easily brush them off - perhaps they didn't even know they were that important to me - but moving away to other places and to college created separation that just moved us apart. It is hard to let go of people for me - but I guess I have come to the realization that just because you leave someone behind in body or in mind doesn't mean that at that one moment in time, they were so important.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home