Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Internet, will you be my Valentine?

I've always appreciated how you never fail to be there for me when I've needed you -- well, for the most part anyway, so long as my upstairs neighbor has a connection.

And Tommers, don't be silly. Not want to be your friend anymore? Ha! Who else could I ever possibly enjoy cutting king cake with as much as you?! :) And we've already dialogued offline about this issue, but to make sure it's captured I'll send you a note. hehehe

I have a new hero: Joey Cheek. Check out the npr story from this morning. I literally teared up this morning getting onto I-10, hearing about this regular guy who's using the platform that transforms him from a regular guy into someone with a voice to help many someones else. We can all do the same thing, on our own scale, finding our own platforms. In my inspiration, I've been brainstorming ways I can contribute like Joey is encouraging his sponsors to; since I feel empassioned by the same issues he spoke about (probably why I was so unusually moved this morning) - suffering in Sudan, etc. - I was empowered by his belief that his $25,000 will make a difference. Because that's usually where I'm stumped for optimism, wondering how the couple hundred dollars or even couple thousand I could donate would matter. But I'm slowly realizing that it's about the movement, being a part of a larger group of people who care to contribute, so that the movement grows and some sort of peace is waged. I don't have to make the whole pie myself, just a piece of it.

And I'm feeling better about only having the ability right now to "help" monetarily or with the small platform I've wedged myself onto within my own sphere of influence. I don't have to wait until I'm capable of one big push or ACTION to make a difference, it's the little things each of us do along the way that will make someone's life just a smidge better, even if it's only from knowing that somewhere, other people care.

I realize now that that was just a cheesy pep talk to myself. But, ah, internet, that's why you're my valentine. Because you love me for, not despite, my cheesy self-motivating pep talks. And I love you for your open willingness to submit to them. Thank you, internet.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

2 ..::thought(s)::..

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous ..::word(s)::..

Has Internet replaced PM? this is so scadalous!

I also heard johnny Cheeks speech on NPR and thought it was great! I guess there's always next year to contribute to their fundraising, i'll just set my $20 aside for them next time they have someone match my donation.

<3 Tom(mers)

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous ..::word(s)::..

But I wanted the internet to be my Valentine! I guess I'll have to settle for the newspaper :) Hope things are well for you...and that you aren't missing me too much.

~your very favorite Kyle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home