Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I'm writing this post on my back, with my head propped up against Pumba (my stuffed warthog with the green and red bugs sewn into his mouth) and my laptop resting on my tummy. I have finally, and unequivocally, ushered the information age into my parent's world.

Best Buy had an awesome deal on wireless routers over the weekend, so H bought a harddrive and I bought a $5 Linksys Wireless-B broadband router. Actually, I bought two $5 routers, because when I told my parents I was getting it for the house but am going to take it with me to my soon-to-be-determined LA home, my dad wanted another one, "for the office." And after several technical support telephone calls, I am now a proud system administrator, the set-er-upp-er of a secure wireless network.

My dad was estatic - he walks into the office before I set up the secure part of the network, and is amazed to find his palm pilot connected to the internet -- wirelessly!! In the midst of his amazement, I made the connection secure, he was kicked off, and then we had to figure out how to make his various wireless gadgets remember the passphrase.

For quite possibly the first time since I became a college graduate, I felt my mind challenged technically and it was a rush. I need to start reading academic things, maybe. Eh, that thought will probably change with the first hard-covered technical book I crack.

0 ..::thought(s)::..

Post a Comment

<< Home