Friday, July 18, 2003

Earlier this week I wrote a post that got deleted by my funk-a-piece-a-shit computer. But that's ok, soon enough it will be back to me and my IBM with ethernet. Aaaaa I can hardly wait.

The post was supposed to be about the great Saturday that I had - after sailing class saturday (which was much fun, since I was with Nigel, Alex, and Jim; Nigel and Jim are very interesting to talk to and the conversation flowed like the water did over the bow. Also, we were racing the boats in class, learning the rules of racing, and trying to give this other boat practice racing since the other boat's people are off to the National Racing something for handicapped sailors. And man are they good), I dragged my dad along with me to a moonlight sail that night. It was INCREDIBLE! Sailing at night is so much different from sailing during the day, you really have to rely more on the feel of the tiller and the wind, and listen to the sounds of the sail for clues you're luffing, since you can't see the tell-tales really at all. Plus, it gave me and pa a chance to Bond. hehe. We've done that quite a bit lately, actually, since Sunday we went to this new park that's in west Broward, that they built over the old Mount Trashmore. It took millions of dollars for the county to clean up this superfund site, but I think it was worth it (it's always worth it to reclaim environment and clean it for the better). It's mostly geared towards being a horse and bike riding park, with trails snaking their way up the "mountain"; dad and I brought Sandi the dog along and we walked around the top of the hill (Which has a great view, btw). Anyway, back to the sailing - no one else really wanted to skipper, so I got to man the tiller for most of the night. Their was lots of wind out, too (prolly 12-15 knots), so we were flying. The reason I went on the moonlight sail, though, is because I'm going to miss tomorrow's class because Hanson, Danny, and I are going to Key West for the weekend to do this watersports party boat thing - you go out on a cat (amaran) all day, they provide lunch, and you get to go jet skiing, water skiing, sail hobie cats, snorkling, parasailing, and lots more, all for one fee. I'm excited, plus I love key west and we'll prolly rent bikes and tool around town (it's not exactly huge).

And that brings me to the present time. Friday. 10:15 am or so. Me sitting in the FIU (Go Golden Panthers!) library. Waiting. You see, Danny and Hanson were supposed to meet me down here after I got out of lab (which I did at 9:50 am or so) and we'd progress southward, stopping briefly at my G-ma's to drop Danny's car off. But nooooooo! All of a sudden D has to go pick up a tux and pack and blah blah blah because he didn't plan ahead of time and now I'm stuck sitting here waiting for them to show up so we can get this trip on the road (so to speak). It makes me so mad! If you tell someone you're going to be somewhere at a certain time, you do whatever you can to be there. You don't tell them at the time you're suppsed to be there when the person calls you to find out where you are that you're "running a little late". Rarrr!! But whatever, right? It's vacation. It's supposed to be relaxing gosh darnnit! So I will let it roll off my shoulders and make sure that some other time when Danny needs me to be somewhere, I won't. So there. ha. :)

Looking back, summer seems to have flloooown by, yet when I think about a certain moment in time, it seems like it's really really far away in the past. Strange dichotomy. And now there's 2 weeks left of school, then finals, then ATL. I'm gonna miss this place. I'm going to miss those gently swaying blades of grass sitting complacently in the median that I stare at twice a day waiting for the light on 8th Street to change so I can go to the Turnpike. I'm going to miss the abundant parking and ability to park anywhere on campus with just one type of pass. I'm going to miss the gym in which I almost never have to wait (weight...haha) for a machine. I'm going to miss being in a class where the teacher speaks slowly, understandably, and in english, with my coolio friends next to me cracking jokes about transformers. I'm going to miss mom's cooking, and hanging out with my parents. They're actually not bad people, and slightly amusing to pass the time with. I'm going to miss my good, clean neighborhood where I can run around at night and not worry about who's behind me, or about coughing up a lung full of car exhaust. then bus exhaust. then more cars. And I'm going to miss the palm trees, my doggie (who is old and getting sicker), my breakfast view out the sliding glass doors to the pool and the the backyard and the canal. But I'm anxious to get back to ATL, myfriends there, and the excitement and activity that goes along with being in school full time. There's somuch I want to do that i've realized this summer. i've emailed a few engineers that have jobs i'd love to have, and it's been so neat t oread their responses with advice to me, so interesting. it blows my mind to think about how many people populate this world, and how many of them are interesting, have stories to tell, and could enrapture me for hours. but their responses have also made me realize that i need to go back to what first made me go to tech - my love of science. i want to research. i've been intimidated here, afraid to take that first step of finding something to do for fear of rejection, i think, for fear of not being able to do ME. and if i didn't try, i wouldn't find out, right? and that was safer. but not anymore. i've found cool marine ME stuff to do and now i want to do it. it's scary to see your dreams shaping and changing and growing before your eyes, but reassuring too. reassuring of your own humanity and possession of a thinking and wanting mind.

whew, that's enough for now. off to gmas to waste away the morning while i wait for this vacation to get started. wish me luck! :)

0 ..::thought(s)::..

Post a Comment

<< Home