Friday, March 05, 2004

I rushed through the swinging glass doors, looking very determined, but the salesman still walked up to me, "Can I help you find something?" His purposefully gentle voice told me he thought I was lost in his venue.

I told him I was looking for stainless steel screws. He pointed me in the right direction, but I already knew where they were because I had been to the store a month prior to buy nylon and stainless steel hinges.

Then I realized I left my sample threading in the car, so I walked out, with him staring suspiciously at me, just knowing that I had shoved something of value from the shelves into my pockets. I mumbled something to him about "I forgot something in the car, I'll be back in just a minute."

I hurried to go back in, fully expecting him to come out after me from the store saying "Ma'am, would you mind if I just peaked in your pockets?" But I got back to aisle 4 without duress. I picked out what I needed (36 3/8" stainless steel screws of various lengths and a bottle of 205 epoxy resin) and went to the counter to pay.

"Does the person you're buying this for have a West Marine or Boater's World card?"

Um, actually, sir, I am buying these items for myself, for a research project I'm working on at this local little school you might have heard of, Georgia Tech? Maybe. Well, I mean I only work on it after I've curled my hair and applied my makeup of course, and I don't touch the greasy parts, so I guess I can ask the person who does all the work if they have a card or something.

"No, sorry I don't have a card." I conceded, "My dad has one, though, I think."

My dad's card didn't come up in the computer, so I paid and went on my way, feeling once more like older men need to wake up to the world that is evolving around them. It's no longer a world in which the only reason I'd be at the boating store is if I was along with my Pa or Hubby. In fact, I bet I'm the one doing the boat shopping; I rather like looking at the gadgets in the store, thank you very much.

I guess it's just changing one person's stereotypes one day at a time.

0 ..::thought(s)::..

Post a Comment

<< Home